Thursday, December 6, 2012

Smothered, Covered, and Slathered! Just like Wafflehouse, minus the waffles!

When I go to the Wafflehouse (which isn't often enough), I love my hashbrowns smothered, covered, and scattered. If you've never been, it is a coffee/breakfast house that serves hashbrowns many different ways. In this particular case, they come smothered with onions, covered with cheese, and scattered on your plate. Of course, there are many other options to choose. This is just my favorite way of enjoying them.

As I began preparing dinner last night, the kids were asking me as always what I was cooking. Having children with different pallets, of course I am always going to have one that isn't too intrigued by the menu. However, I have learned to rename the dishes I create to peak their interests. It's funny how if you call a meal one thing, they don't like it; but call it something fun, and they are all over it! lol

So back to the story. I was smothering down some bone-in pork chops covered with onions and slathered with Mr. Pete's Cajun Seasoning. But you know as well as I do, when most children hear onions they run! So instead, I simply told them the first thing that came to mind "Smothered, Covered, and Slathered Chops." Boy did that catch their attention!

So basically, here's all you'll need:

4 bone-in pork chops, thin cut 1/2" thick
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 large onion, sliced
1 tbsp. garlic, minced
2 tbsp. Mr. Pete's Cajun Seasoning
1-2 cups water

Directions:

In a large skillet, heat oil and add onions. Cook until they are translucent, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional minute. Season pork chops with Mr. Pete's Cajun Seasoning, and place in skillet on top of onions. Brown each side of pork chops approximately 8 minutes. Add water covering the chops. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until water is cooked out and meat becomes tender. You may need to add more water, depending upon the thickness of your meat.


Serve pork chops with smothered onions over the tops (or leave them off of the children's plates). You can place these over a bed or rice for wonderful results, or pair it with beautiful sides as we have done.


There you have it! Smothered, Covered, and Slathered Chops with a semi-stuffed roasted potato half and a fresh ceasar salad. And for all of you parents out there, DO NOT... I repeat, DO NOT ever tell the children what they are truly having after they eat; because they will eventually catch on! Here's to tricking your kids!

Follow us to our kitchen to get your Mr. Pete's Cajun Seasoning to make up this delicious meal! --> www.mrpetescajunspices.com/store/

No comments:

Post a Comment