Wednesday, January 16, 2013

How many layers will you incorporate?

When I was younger, my mother always served several different appetizers on game days. She would spend the morning in the kitchen making one main course and literally 10 delicious finger foods for everyone to enjoy throughout the day. This is one appetizer I always seemed to enjoy when watching the ball games, and just had to have her recipe. So after speaking to her, I learned she wasn't the only person who made this 'layered dip', but it was actually served in many varieties all over the globe. Although disappointed to learn that it wasn't original (I didn't spend much time in the kitchen, if ever, in my younger years), I decided to make it for my family. 

I have altered this recipe numerous times to not only experiment and serve our favorite flavors, but to accomodate others who may not care for certain ingredients. My mother referred to this dish as a 7-layer dip. During the Superbowl, you'll find 3 different plates of layered dips and several chip options for all to enjoy! However, they aren't all 7-layers. ;) Unfortunately, I don't have pictures of each variation. Still, I will provide you with alternate ideas and update you when the big day arrives... this year in our native state at the New Orleans Superdome!


So, here's what we started with. The first layer is 1- 16oz. can of refried beans. You can use whichever brand you'd like. I use this particular ingredient at the bottom, since it adds firmness to dip the chips.


The next layers consist of 12oz. of Nacho Cheese Sauce and 1 cup Mayonnaise. Spread the ingredients one at a time evenly over the top of the refried beans as shown below.


Next, I sprinkled 1 tspn. Taco seasoning and 1 tspn. Lemon juice for an extra bite.


Finally, add 1/2 tspn. Mr. Pete's Cajun Seasoning for extra flavor and 1/4 cup diced green onions for a bit of color and texture to achieve your 7-layer dip. Serve with your favorite potato chips!


Additional Ingredient options:
Diced Tomatoes
Shredded Lettuce
Sour Cream
Salsa
Shredded Cheese of any kind
Guacamole
Avocados
Jalapenos
Red & Green Bellpeppers
Onion
Olives
Cream Cheese

The options are endless; and there's no rulebook that says you can't have them all! Create your own and call it a Fiesta Dip, a Mexican Dip, a Taco Dip, or whatever you'd like! So, how many layers will you incorporate?

FYI: This year we'll be serving a NEW layered dip at our Superbowl Party! I can't wait to share with you that recipe! There will be no need to wash dishes! Your guests will be licking the plate!



No comments:

Post a Comment