Thursday, March 1, 2012

Is there a such thing as too much Chocolate?

Yesterday, I made a casual trip to the grocery store to pick up a few items for supper. But before leaving, I asked my six-year old if he wanted to come with me. Of course he said yes and hurriedly put on his shoes and grabbed a Hotwheel car, as he always does.

As we arrived, he threw a hissy fit, because I would not let him ride in the car buggy. You've seen those carts with the car on the front end for the children to ride. They are so big and bulky; and each time I try to turn down a new isle, I hit the side of the grocery shelf knocking over several items that I have to pick up. Once you do that several times, it begins to frustrate you. It's bad enough that when you are making a grocery bill, the buggy gets heavy. It's even worse when you get a cart that has wheels that don't turn. So you can understand my reasoning for not wanting to choose that buggy.

So, instead, I bribed my child! Yes! All parents do it, right? lol I explained to my son that if he was mild mannered in the store, I would let him choose a candy before checking out. Well, needless to say, he was very good and got more than just a candy. lol As I gathered my necessities, my son asked what we were making for dessert. He knows that he and his father always have a night time snack together. I really wasn't planning a dessert for last night. All I had on mind was dinner. So, I asked him what he would like. To my reply, he yelled "Pie!" For real! It seemed everyone in the store stopped what they were doing to focus on my little boy. I "shushed" him, and told him to use his inside voice. Then, I asked him what kind of pie he would like. I am not a baker, and especially not a great pie maker, but I could not turn down my child's pleas to make a special pie. He told me he wanted to pick out the ingredients, or in his words, "Mommy, can I pick out what I want to put in it?" He wanted to actually help in preparing this dessert for his daddy. How sweet?!

I took him to the baking isle, and told him we must first choose a crust. Because I am not much of a baker, we picked out an already made crust. Then my son got an idea! "Mom, how about we make a chocolate pie!" He was so excited! I could hear it in his voice; which then got me excited! As we browsed the isles, he would come upon something that he wanted in the pie, and would throw it in the buggy. He was having so much fun with it, I couldn't break his little heart by saying no. Then, we got to the checkout counter. Low and behold, he began putting all things chocolate on the counter. This is how it went!

Begin with a Chocolate Pie Crust...


Then add chocolate brownies...


Next, add chocolate pudding...


Then, add chocolate chips...


Finally, sprinkle crushed oreo cookies on top, line pie with chocolate whipped cream, and top with a chocolate covered cherry!


So, back to my original question. Is there a such thing as too much Chocolate? Not when it makes my sweet little boy happy! We hope you all enjoyed our Chocolate fun dessert! We sure had fun making it, and that's all that matters!

Chocolate Cheers!
~Mrs. Pete

1 comment:

  1. That actually looks and sounds pretty good. But then again, I LOVE all things chocolate. Hope you guys enjoyed your dessert!!!

    ReplyDelete