Monday, November 19, 2012

Crawfish Boulettes, A 'Small Ball' of Goodness

I am not sure who, when, or where boulettes were first served and enjoyed. Even though my research was extremely exhaustive, I didn't find very much information. However, I did learn (which I already knew) they are a French delicacy. I also found out (which I wasn't aware) that the term 'boulette' means small ball. If you are not familiar with boulettes, it is shaped into a small ball and served as such. Now you know as much as I do about this 'Small Ball' of goodness (which isn't much, I know). lol On to the recipe!
This recipe yields 1 dozen crawfish boulettes.
Ingredients:
1 lb. crawfish tails, peeled
1 cup diced onion 
1 cup diced bellpepper
1/2 cup diced celery
1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
2 tablespoons garlic, minced
1 egg, beaten
1 cup breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons Mr. Pete's Cajun Seasoning
1- 10 oz. bag of Mr. Pete's Seasoned Cajun Oyster Fry
Your choice of cooking oil (Our preferred is Peanut oil)
Purchase your seasoning ingredients on line now! http://www.mrpetescajunspices.com/store/

Directions:
Place crawfish, onion, bellpepper, celery, parsley, and garlic into a food processor. Use the pulse option, and spin until crawfish pieces are approximately 1/4". In a large bowl, mix bread crumbs, egg, and Mr. Pete's Cajun Seasoning. In another pan, pour in Mr. Pete's Seasoned Cajun Oyster fry.

Using the mixture from the food processor, hand roll 12- 2" balls. Dip balls into bread crumb, egg, and seasoning blend, then into Mr. Pete's Seasoned Cajun Oyster Fry. Coat balls thoroughly.

Heat your oil to 350 degrees. (I like to use a deep fryer to ensure the boulettes are cooked evenly, but you may pan fry them as well.) Place boulettes into oil, and fry until golden brown. Remove from fryer and drain on absorbent paper towels.

***This dish can be served as an appetizer or as a meal, and with or without a seafood dip.
As the French say, Bon Appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment